What is One Degree Shift?
CHOOSE A STEP
We’ve been learning about wisdom through the Foolproof Series. Are you ready to take another step? Here are some actions and resources to help you learn more about wisdom.
If you want to revisit a teaching or you missed any of the Foolproof messages, you can access them all on the Foolproof Series media page.
1. Build Your Council of Wisdom
Proverbs teaches us that there is safety in a multitude of counselors. Start by answering these questions honestly:
- What area of your life could you use wisdom in?
- Who are the people that might sit on your personal council of wisdom?
- Who are the people that would give God-honouring advice for your job, family, finances, and other areas of your life?
Plan some time together with these people to ask for their input into your area of need. If you do not have a group of wise people in your life, begin to pray and ask God to help you identify the right people to support you.
2. Take a Life Class
The Making Space life class begins March 24 and will help you identify what matters to God and to you as a follower of Christ and how to use your time wisely. Gleaning wisdom from the Book of Proverbs and the example of Jesus, this study will help you avoid empty, unfulfilling busyness and devote your time to the pursuits that matter most in life.
The CAP Money Course can be taken anytime online and will help you with your personal finances by teaching you how to establish a budget, get out of debt, spend & save wisely, and give generously.
3. Protect Your Family
Set up a filter and accountability software, such as Covenant Eyes, to protect your family and yourself from internet temptations.
4. Keep learning
Explore some other resources that can help you learn wisdom.
- God’s Wisdom for Navigating Life by Timothy Keller provides daily devotionals in wisdom from the Book of Proverbs.
- My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers offers daily devotionals with profound insight on what it means to follow Christ.
Podcasts & Workshops
- MoneyWise Live – A biblical approach to managing your time, talents and resources.
- FamilyLife Canada – Podcasts and workshops on marriage, parenting, and sexual intimacy.
- Rewind Podcast – In-depth conversations about our sermon topics with our teaching team.
- Family-iD – A 4-session video learning experience that challenges families to live with intentionality and purpose.
Choose a step
We just finished the Emotions Series. Are you ready to take another step? Here are some actions and resources to help you learn more about emotions. Choose at least one next step to grow in your God-given wisdom.
If you want to revisit a teaching or you missed any of the Emotions Series messages, you can access them all on the Emotions Series media page.
1. Build A New Habit
Reflect on what you took away from the Emotions series. Is there anything from the sermons that you need to apply to your life? Perhaps it’s building compassion for others, or surrendering worries to God, or speaking honestly about disappointment. Choose something that resonated specifically with you, then think of an action you can take that will help you build a new habit. Ask someone to pray with you and hold you accountable to that action.
2. Take A Class
The Gift of Lament course, led by Pastor Kirk, will teach us how to recover the practice of honest spiritual struggle by giving us permission to vocalize our pain and wrestle with sorrow. The course is online and begins February 3, 2021. Please register to attend.
3. Keep Learning
Explore other resources that can help you with healthy ways to process and handle emotions.
- Untangling Emotions by J. Alasdair Groves and Winston T. Smith
- Emotionally Healthy Spirituality by Peter Scazzero
- Good and Angry: Redeeming Anger, Irritation, Complaining, and Bitterness by David Powlison
- Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World by Max Lucado
- How Do I Overcome Anxiety and Depression (Gospel Coalition Podcast)
- Christian Struggle with Depression, Anxiety, and Mental Health (Impactus Podcast)
- Forward Rewind podcast (in-depth conversations about our sermon topics)
- “Your Emotions Matter to God: Learning from the Bible’s Songbook” by John Piper
4. Join A Life Group
Life Groups are a great way to get connected, make friends and get support as we continue our faith journey. Join a Life Group or learn more by signing up for our Lifelink Group Launch class coming up on February 16.